Monday, July 28, 2008

Mixed emotions....And stuff

It's here, and it's over.
Summer Marching Camp begins today, and summer is officially over. Bah! Time for long days and hot marching stuff. I have a very mixed bag of emotions here.

On one hand I have the most talented HS Band I've had to date. A VERY good group of kids with some pretty good attitudes. Most of these kids have some serious talent! Several of them work very hard.

On the other hand I have learned from history...a lot of us don't want to work. I don't get it. So much talent has gone to waste in the past. It's a shame. God bestows gifts and talents upon us and FAR too many times we waste them. It's much more fun(?) to just hang out. I think that's why there are so many problems with our world. We would rather just hang around and do quite literally nothing. It takes zero effort to hang out. It takes time, work, and honest to goodness effort to be a success at something. Those that do work hard are made fun of for it. I don't get it. But I digress...

We all do it. I do. I look back at what could be and I kick myself in the rear ALL the time for it.

Anyway, I was talking about the Band. Again. If the planets line up and we work hard, or even work sort of hard, we can do something special. I am going to choose to look at the positive side!

School is rapidly approaching. Friday night football. Saturday contests. LONG, LONG days at school. Pretty cool.

I'm most looking forward to working with the kids this year. I have been waiting for this group to happen! I'm looking forward to hooking up a new crew of beginners and seeing them smile as they make some music. Pretty sweet indeed.

No comments: