Sunday, December 28, 2008

Stuff, Again...

I had an awesome Christmas! I hope that you did too.
This is one of favorite times of the year. It is nice to get a 2 week break from work but more importantly I get to spend those 2 weeks with my family.

I never seem to make enough time for those that I love the most. It's sad but true. My job, my wife's job, and the kids activities always seem to get in the way of solid quality time. As a father and husband I think that our lives end up focusing on things other than being a family. I also think that this is a very typical situation.

I have always believed that my kids should be busy. I was brought up being taught that "Idle hands are the devils workshop" and I believe that it's true. When a kid has to spend time coming up with something to do they can decide to do things that are not exactly positive....

I AM actually looking forward to returning to school.
I miss my students and friends.

My bands are making some very nice sounds. These breaks tend to take away our momentum. That, of course, makes sense. When we have a break the kids don't have their horns to their faces. Returning will take care of it.

I am looking forward to getting ready for contests.
I'm hoping that the younger kids can do it and still enjoy band. Contest prep is hyper-boring at times. We have to be so very picky it can seriously wear the kids down. To be successful though it must be done.

I am looking forward to teaching the 6th graders again. I have really enjoyed them so far.

I have had so much fun teaching this year. More so than any year in recent memory. There have been so few problems. I think that our program has begun to turn the corner into being a positive experience for all involved.

In years past there had been WAY too many kids falling short of expectations. I do not expect perfection from anyone. I DO expect the kids to give me their best effort though.

I have NEVER told the kids that they have to make a certain rating or achieve a specific placement at contests. I HAVE told them that I will only accept their best effort. As long as I get their best I will never complain.

My opinion has always been that no judge will ever know where our band started from. They only see/hear us for one brief moment in time. They will never see our complete journey from learning music to becoming the best we could be. I see that.

Our best is all I ever ask for.

Happy New Year Everybody!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Mr.A I am sooooo awesome I hope u get this soon!

From your best student ever,
Morgan